And so the story goes...

Monday, July 21, 2008


My oldest brother Roger is in the ICU with sepsis. He found a tick in his armpit July 7th and eight days later he called me to tell me that if he didn't go to the doctor, he knew this was his last day. I left work and when I arrived at his home, he was very dizzy and incoherent. It was difficult to carry on a small conversation with him. I took him directly to the ER and he was admitted with Phenomena. After being transferred to the main hospital, they changed his diagnosis and told us that he had a 50% chance of surviving through the night. Each day has presented a new challenge, but after one week, he is still surviving and slowly getting better. It has been a struggle and emotionally exhausting, but I know that some very positive results will come out of this. His life will change drastically and I know that as a family, we will be able to help him get through this.

I was with him before he was put under sedation. I helped my brother get dressed and held his hand in the car on our way to the hospital. I smiled at him and watched his body slowly shake as we walked into the ER. I listened as he spoke to the doctor, unsure of how serious this was. The doctor asked him a series of questions and when asked who I was, my brother said, "Oh that's Betsy, my little sister. She's the one who keeps our family together." Those words have floated around in my mind all week as I stare at him, holding his paralyzed hand, whispering to him how well he is doing. I know that he feels my presence. I could barely leave his side for days, and worry when I am away from him. He is my big brother and I am so anxious for him to wake up again and see how supportive his family is and how much we want to help him.

I know that he will make it through this. Our family is strong and we are all here for him, waiting for his recovery. We have flown in from many parts of the country to ban together. We are a spiritual family and have been blessed many times by the power of prayer and fasting. We stand together once again. The priesthood is a powerful gift and I know that the blessings he has been given are divine. I feel comfort through my family and am grateful to be a part of them.

2 comments:

Rebecca Blevins said...

I am so, so very sorry to hear what you're going through. Please know that I'll keep your family in my prayers.

Chell said...

I am amazed at your strength. You are such a blessing in his life, and he is so lucky to have you and your support. I will keep you all in my prayers.

have shared a smile with me.