And so the story goes...

Friday, September 21, 2007

My day...

Beep beep beep beep beep beep...smack...ZzzZzzZzz...beep beep beep beep...smack...ZzzZzzZZz...beep beep...okay okay, you get the idea. I miss my children. The other day Sandro had to be at school early in the morning, so I went in late to work so that I could take Dylan & Ashley to school. I haven't done this in quite some time now and forgot how much I enjoy seeing them when they're happy and content and ready to start their day. Everybody woke up in a good mood and I helped them pick out their clothes. I fixed Ashley's hair and brushed Christopher's teeth. I tied their shoes, gathered their bags, and walked with them to the car. We talked and smiled and laughed a little bit as I drove them to the front of their school, kissed them good-bye and sent them on their way with a little more love on their minds. I had a really good day. I wish I could do that every morning. I also love my job and I enjoy working. I know it sounds crazy, but I really do. I am an Administrative Assistant in a warehouse company that ships crane blocks and it's components to different distributors around the world. Although it is a relatively small company based out of Tulsa, it also has several warehouses and sub-warehouses throughout the country as well as several in various parts of the world. My job is to create the Commercial Invoice for all international shipments and find the best way to ship them. I correspond through email with customers from Latin America to Australia and everywhere in between. I take pride in the accuracy of my work and the ability to troubleshoot problems that my tenured co-workers have. Yes, I am a tad bit arrogant about being able to look up information in the system when others have failed or discover how to save the company money from the errors of former employees and system glitches. I am good at my job. Is there anything wrong with admitting this? I wish I could spent more time with my children, but I also work a schedule that allows me to see them in the evenings and on the weekends and holidays. I can leave work to take them to the doctor and I can take time off when one of them is sick. I work in a professional, yet lenient company that I enjoy being at. This is what makes it easy for me to get up in the mornings after the third attempt from my alarm clock. This is why I put on makeup and fix my hair before lunch. This is what makes it worth being the primary financial support while I put my husband back through school. Because after a pleasant day at the office, I get to come home to a happy family. I get to hear Bebito shouting "It's mommy" through the door and I get to be "surpised" by my daughter who hides behind the couch and scares me every evening when I walk into the house and I get to be knocked down by my son's powerful hug because he is so happy to see me. I get to hear an earful of school gossip from my new teenager and I get greeted by a warm kiss from my "Latin Lover". These are the things that make my life worth while. These are the reasons why I have a good day every day.

2 comments:

mindyluwho said...

Beautiful post Bo Betsy, I love knowing how your day is! Today I'm a little jealous that you have a job that takes you away from your home. Because today I wanted to be taken away from my home! Most days I'm ok, but some days...

Phae-Jae said...

That was a GREAT post Betsy..I want to read more from YOU!

Sounds like you are blooming where you have been planted:)

have shared a smile with me.