And so the story goes...
Friday, December 14, 2007
A Partrige in a Pear Tree...well, not in mine.
We lost our power at about 6:30 am Monday morning. When I left for work, I saw my tree laying in a circle across my front yard. The ice was so thick and heavy that it caused our other tree to sag in the middle. I remember thinking about how much it might cost to have somebody trim the top so that it wouldn't fall onto our roof someday. Two hours later, my husband called to tell me it fell on our house. I guess it saved me some money, right? We still haven't cleared the yard because we had no heat in our house for most of the week. We slept in our room the first night, crowded in the living room with the gas fireplace the next night, and eventually we brought the queen mattress out and slept on it for a few nights. At one point we thought about sleeping at a shelter. Each morning we would bundle up in the car, blast the heat, and drive around all day. We fought for candles and spend countless hours waiting in line at the only Wal-Mart open in Tulsa, only to buy a half gallon of milk and a few things that would not spoil. Everything in our fridge and freezer had to be thrown out. We avoided our home as much as possible this week. It was depressing coming home each night and seeing our neighbors lights on or hearing their generator, knowing we were going to freeze. The kids were sick, coughing, running fevers. We spent lots of money eating out, shopping, anything to keep our minds off the long journey home. We drove across town on the highway and saw nothing. Total blackness surrounded most of Tulsa and Broken Arrow for days. Trees were spread all over the roads and neighborhoods, mixed with falling power lines. I cried some mornings, went to sleep before 8:00 pm most nights. I took the healthier kids to their daycare for a few hours just to keep them warm. One morning Dylan begged to go. They have missed a week of school and I missed three days of work. Thursday evening we were in heaven when we came home and saw our Christmas tree lights through the window. We walked into a warm house and had never felt happier. It's more upbeat now. A lot of the area has regained their power, but half the city is still without. I understood a little better about why we need emergency kits and food storage. I understood a little more about the Katrina victims and what they had to go through. I didn't lose my home, but it felt like a tornado had stormed through our city. It looked like a war zone when driving around town. I am so glad for this part to be over. I am thankful to have my power back now and not have to be one of those to freeze through the upcoming snow storm. I have never been so happy to have light again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
have shared a smile with me.


5 comments:
Holy Smokes!
We watched that storm unfold on the news, it missed us by a couple of counties. Hope you guys have thawed out!
Wow, you were like pioneers or something! I had no idea things were so bad there. I'm sorry!
Glad to see you got through OK. What a wake up call to prepare for disasters. I am going to put together my 72 hour kit now.
Oh Betsy, you should have come on over to my house. We were a little chilly but we have a log burning fire place which kept the house a nice 58 degrees. We stayed home alot! The line at the Braum's by your house was an hour wait. Crazy! Hope everything is good now!! Love ya lots.
On the 6th we got a snow storm that put me into labor. My mom flew out here on the 8th. Not long after she left you guys got hit by the storm. Her boyfriend said that the powerline to the house got hit by a limb and pulled off their box on the house. They are still without power cause PSO has to run a whole new line to the house. Mom called today and said that they won't even have a phone until about Jan. 2nd. I am glad it wasn't that bad for you and your children. Hope you are all doing better now. Love you all. Clarissa
Post a Comment