I want to start blogging about my siblings and in-laws. To start this off, I chose to talk about Mindy.
Mindy is my oldest sister. Since there is about a 12 year gap between us, I didn't grow up with her much. I remember visiting her at BYU and her wedding, but other than that, I don't remember her living at home with me. But after she married, she would always come to visit us. I always looked forward to seeing her! I remember when she had her first baby. She sent us pictures of her in little tiny pink 'sunglasses' while she was 'tanning' under the light. She was actually jaundice, but we all laughed at how cute she looked. Mindy would always write funny little comments on the back of her pictures that would make us feel like we were right there next to her.
As I grew older, I developed a closer relationship with her. I had children and would call and talk to her about my struggles. She became a person for me to look up to. Always strong in her beliefs, both religious and personal. Always in a positive mood, at least when we spoke or saw each other.
I have always thought of Mindy as the rock of our family. She used to put together a family newsletter and have us submit articles and pictures and little things that we could share with everybody else. I looked forward to reading them when I received mine and would laugh at all the little funnies she would add. When our mother passed away, she dedicated the next newsletter to her and made sure to send one to our extended family in Utah and elsewhere.
Now that we started blogging, it has been more fun to read all the things she does or thinks or experiences or learns. I never know what to expect when I review her page, but I always leave with a good feeling. And I always learn from her. I wish we lived closer, as I know we would visit often, but I still look forward to the opportunities when I do see her.
This past summer, she came to visit and brought the whole family! It was definitely a treat to see how much her kids had grown, as I hadn't seen them since our family gathering in San Diego many years before. I grasped on to how much she loved her family and how beautiful she had made them become. She cares for them and nurtures them and I can see through them how much they enjoy being a family. Each one has their own personalities and are very different from the other, but in the end, they are a very fun and happy group of siblings.
Mindy dear, you are still my rock and I still look up to your example. Thanks for believing in me.
4 comments:
Mindy is wonderful, and it was great reading this and learning more about her! :)
She sounds so wonderful! Thanks for sharing this with us :)
She is wonderful! And so are YOU:)
Happy Thanksgiving
Oh my. I haven't been on the blogs much lately so I just read this post. I'm so flattered! Thank you sweet Betsy! Being on the other end of the 12+ year gap, I remember growing up with you. Toting you around and hugging your sweet, soft little self. You had wispy blonde hair that we thought would never thicken up! And you talked your head off. I used to bribe you to be quiet! When I left to get married you were still a little girl. When I came back to visit after being away for awhile I was shocked to see you grown into a beautiful young woman! I love the mother you have become, you remind me so much of our mother...in all the good ways!
I love you!
Post a Comment