And so the story goes...

Monday, March 03, 2008

A State of Imperfect Clarity

Ok, ok. So I finally got on the wagon and started reading this book.
Twilight

I was at the gym with my sister a few weeks ago and she had the book with her. I laughed about it, thinking how silly it was to read such a story, knowing little about the book other than it was a popular love story about a vampire. Please. She handed me the book and told me to read it while I whipmered sluggishly on the bike. I glanced at a few words and held it as I continued talking to her instead. She caught on after a while and told me I could keep it if I wanted to read it later. "It's such a good book. All the other teachers try to borrow it from me." I laughed. I don't read much. Not for any other valid reason except that I don't have the interest. I know-horrible. Both my sisters-especially this one-are avid readers and my mother read non-stop. I just never really aquired the interest or the time. Occassionally, but rarely. When we got to our cars, which happened to be next to each other, she gave me the book back and told me to read it. I laughed at her and said I probably wouldn't have the time. So she bribed me. Yea, she really bribed me. $20 for me to read this book. I laughed again. "No, really. I'll give you $20 or a gift certificate if you will just read it. I promise you, Elizabeth, that you will not want to put the book down!" I tossed it in my car and laughed the whole ride home. It sat there for a while. I finally 'got around' to starting it this weekend. I read the first chapter and set it aside in distraction. Yesterday was slow, so I picked it back up and read. Then my husband interrupted me and we had to leave. Several hours later, I finally was able to sit down and read more. I got interrupted again when I had to pick up my niece from my sister. When I got there, she laughed when my excuse for taking so long was because I was in the middle of reading her book. She said she wouldn't mind if I read it at the gym tomorrow. I read more when I got home. My excuse was that I was waiting for my brother to pick up my niece, so I let my husband go to bed alone. I stayed up another two hours after she left. I went to bed only because I had to work today. I'm anxious to get home. Dinner will be simple and the kids will go to bed early. My husband has English class tonight too. And yes, I will bring it to the gym after he gets home. I had to stop right in the middle of the book. Right at the best part. It'll be a good night, although I may not get much sleep. I think she has the second book too.

4 comments:

mindyluwho said...

Welcome to the world of I-need-to-go-to-bed-but-I-can't-put-my-book-down! Better late than never.

Incidentally, I've not read that book yet.

Phae-Jae said...

Muhahah! You've been bitten;)

Rebecca Blevins said...

I've just found out about that book. Hmm...library reserve list?

Nancy Face said...

HA! You're hooked! Woo hoo! :D

have shared a smile with me.